The musings and misadventures of a girl unprepared

Friday 31 May 2013

*CHEESY POST ALERT*

'There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them' - J. K. Rowling

First year at uni and a twelve-foot mountain troll have their similarities don't you think?

We did it! We made it to the end of freshers! All in one piece with most of our sanity, which is a nice bonus. I like to say 'we' rather than 'I' as I feel it is something we achieved as a collective, rather than a single handed effort. So this post is dedicated to all those lovelies who've made my life just that little bit brighter, just by being themselves.



Overall, first year has been an amazing experience for me. I've met some of the most incredible human beings to have ever walked to earth and I feel so so blessed to know we have many more years of friendship ahead of us. Little did I know when I started out on my university adventure that I'd make friends that are scattered from Mexico City to Melbourne to São Paulo to Essex.




I was talking to a friend about the pros and cons of having friends from all over the world. Luckily, I'm super good at keeping in touch with people, even if it's just little updates now and then and I don't tend to get awkward even if I leave years before seeing a person again. I cope pretty well with long distance friendships; it's not that I don't miss people, it's just I've learned to not dwell on it. I like that I can travel almost anywhere and I can always find a familiar face. I also like living for right now, enjoying the company of those around me rather than lamenting those who aren't. Plus, it makes it all the more special when you do see someone and you can really appreciate your time together.




'There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature' - Jane Austen

This year has been a strange one as far as making friends goes, with all the exchange students coming and going at Christmas my year has had a strange divide, since the two groups were really quite different. Although I wish I'd got to spend more time with both groups, I wouldn't change it for the world. Though I am looking forward to a slightly more settled year next year, with a continuity of friends and flatmates (well flatmate, it's just me and Will next year!) Doubtless I'll be taking that back after a week or so of normality and craving the antics of Moonraker once more. We've decided there's enough drama that goes on here to create our own soap opera, without even having to exaggerate much. Maybe just chuck in a murder and a wedding scandal to really finish it off. Apparently I would be played by Ellen Page because 'she has that quirky edge'. Pretty pleased with that :)




And then of course, there's the beauts from my course who are stuck with me for another three years. Soz about that chaps. I think I got insanely lucky with this lot. Our tutors have described us as the odd year out as we all get on so well, which if you don't go to uni is extremely unusual for classmates, let alone the entire year group! So yer, it seems I hit the friend jackpot this year and I couldn't be happier about it. Being President of German Soc next year is going to be a lot of fun. 




Basically, thanks for being awesome guys. Here's to many more years of friendship/putting up with me ;) Oh and Will and I put an offer in for a flat today!! Exciting stuff. Let the excitement of summer and second year commence...

1 comment:

  1. the party that you made is very memorable and very fun. Many new experiences that you get. Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge about holidays. villakubu.com

    ReplyDelete