The musings and misadventures of a girl unprepared

Thursday 20 February 2014

Return to Deutschland #11

Guess what guys?!? I'm back in Germany for the 11th time!! Hamburg to be exact.

It's day two of the German Soc trip and I'm lying in bed being serenaded by a mixture of my friend Greg's snoring and various groans as people press the snooze button on their alarms. We set off incredibly early yesterday morning (4.50am meet up at the station) and somehow all 13 of us, slightly dishevelled and exhausted, managed to arrive in Hamburg by mid morning.

After checking in and chilling for a bit, we split up (to search for clues!) and began exploring. Our first stop was the St. Marien Cathedral, on a happy coincidence as it turns out we can't read maps. It was, in all honesty, was a little bit bizzare. I don't think I've ever seen an entire cathedral built out of red brick with such a modern interior of white washed walls. Aside from the orate altar it just seemed a bit underwhelming to me.


However, at the same time as being a bit weird, it was quite interesting to see a modern take on such a grand building. It definitely wasn't what we expected. Oh, and the crypt was beautiful, a sentence which I never thought I'd write! It's worth a visit just for that.


'Rejoice, that your names are forgiven in Heaven'

We eventually found our feet and headed towards the Rathaus (town hall). Let's just say, it's pretty impressive. 


Whilst we were touristing it up, a photographer approached Stefan and asked him if he could take a few shots for his fashion blog because he loved his style. Pretty cool eh? So of course, I had to get one of the whole team posing to even it out a bit...


I actually think it turned out pretty well!

Then came more wandering across the bridge to some kind of lake (I think), but it had started to get a little chilly so we made it out new mission to find a Bierkeller. Unfortunately it seems Hamburg city centre has a severe shortage of pub-like-establishments.

Eventually, just as we were about to give up, we stumbled across a place to thaw out and piled inside for our first beer of the trip.


Once back at the hostel and reunited with the other girls, we decided to have a chill one with some food and the Arsenal vs Bayern Münich game, seeing as we were all pretty beat.

Exhibit A:



I'm now sat in my semi-lifeless hostel room trying to come up with the most creative way to get these lazy arses out of bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment